Rule Relaxation for the Rehiring of Retired Employees and Waiver of Benefits Waiting Period for COVID-19 Related Work
April 24, 2020
Dear Rutgers Colleagues:
Governor Murphy recently signed Executive Order 155 which among other things, relaxes rules related to the hiring practices for COVID-19 related work, (a) eligible retirees would be able to return to work sooner than previously allowed and (b) there would be a temporary waiver of the 2-month waiting period for health insurance enrollment for new hires.
REHIRING RETIREES – COVID-19 RELATED HIRE
Eligible retirees who are working on COVID-19 related work would be eligible for temporary re-employment after a 30-day severance. This is a relaxation of the 180-day severance previously required by the State.
- Temporary re-employment for COVID-19 related work only;
- Retiree cannot have engaged in any pre-planning for a return prior to the COVID-19 emergency;
- Retiree must have had a complete severance from his or her former employer for at least 30 days from the date of retirement or the date of Board of Trustee approval, whichever is later.
What the Hiring Department Needs To Do:
- Upon the identification of a retiree who is being considered for a COVID-19 related position that is authorized to be filled, contact Michelle.Brugnoli@rutgers.edu who will send a “Retiree Returning to Work” informational packet
- Complete and return packet to UHR
- Provide workhours, details on the required expertise and skills as it relates to COVID-19, and general responsibilities for retiree
- Notify the hiring department as to whether or not the retiree is eligible to be considered for re-hire
- If the retiree is eligible for rehire, UHR will complete an Employer Certification for Hiring Retirees and submit to the New Jersey Division of Pensions and Benefits (NJDPB). There is no need to wait for approval from the State to proceed with the hire.
HEALTH BENEFITS ENROLLMENT – COVID-19 RELATED WORK
Eligible employees who have been hired to perform work related to COVID-19 may be enrolled in health insurance immediately as of their start date for coverage during the COVID-19 emergency. This is a temporary waiver of the 2-month waiting period.
- Employees who are eligible for the State Health Benefits Program;
- Hired to perform work related to COVID-19.
- What the Hiring Department Needs To Do:
- When a new employee is hired into a position related to COVID-19 work, notify Patricia.Quinn@rutgers.edu that the employee is eligible for the waiver of the 2-month waiting period for benefit eligibility
- Complete the Waiver of New Employee Waiting Period form and submit it to the NJDPB once the new hire has completed and submitted their health insurance enrollment forms
It is our hope that these relaxed rules by the State will help aid you with the critical hires that your departments need during these unprecedented times. If you have any questions, please contact OneSource Rutgers Faculty and Staff Service Center at 732-745-SERV (7378) or at OneSource@rutgers.edu.
Senior Vice President for Human Resources & Organizational Effectiveness