Rutgers University Employee COVID-19 Guidelines
Rutgers Occupational Health Offices
- Rutgers–New Brunswick, Rutgers–Newark, and Rutgers–Camden: 848-932-8254
- Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS)–Newark: 973-972-2900
- RBHS–New Brunswick/Piscataway and University Correctional Health Care: 848-445-0123, ext. 2
- Robert Wood Johnson Medical School faculty and staff: 732-235-6559
If Employee Has COVID-19 Symptoms
Employees with COVID-19 compatible symptoms who have not been tested should stay home and contact their health care provider for evaluation and testing.
For supervisors that have an employee who has tested positive for COVID-19, or has symptoms compatible with COVID-19 infection, please see management guidance from UHR here: https://uhr.rutgers.edu/onesource/news/covid-19-guidance.
If Employee Tests Positive for COVID-19
Employees who test positive for COVID-19, regardless of whether they have symptoms, should:
- Isolate for 5 days, and may return to campus wearing a mask for 5 additional days if asymptomatic or significantly improving;
- Inform their personal physician of their positive test results;
- Follow up with their physician/urgent care and obtain return to work clearance if they are not significantly improved by day 5; and
- Inform their campus Occupational Health office of positive test results if they are working on campus and they have close contacts at work.
Employees who are able to work remotely and feel well enough to do so, may, with supervisor approval, work from home while in isolation. Employees who are unable to work remotely must charge sick time or paid time off.
If Employee Is Exposed to a COVID-19 Positive Case
Exposure is defined as close contact with a positive case (within 6 feet for a total of 15 minutes or more) without appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE). See CDC’s exposure definition.
Fully vaccinated individuals who are up-to-date with their COVID-19 vaccination (primary series and booster once eligible; see here) are not required to quarantine after exposure and may continue their regular duties as long as they remain asymptomatic. Those who are not up-to-date must quarantine after exposure, even if asymptomatic.
If Employee Travels
Please follow the latest CDC Guidelines for domestic and international travel:
Rutgers University COVID 19 PCR Testing for Employees
Weekly COVID-19 PCR Testing is required for all employees with no record of vaccination against COVID-19. The weekly requirement can be satisfied via Rutgers saliva testing by claiming a kit at one of our testing centers or vending machines. Alternatively, weekly testing can be satisfied by a PCR test from a non-Rutgers site as long as the external results are uploaded at: https://rtr.ipo.rutgers.edu/questionnaire/.
Vaccinated employees that have uploaded record of vaccination against COVID-19, are not required to test weekly and thus, are not eligible for Rutgers University PCR testing. If symptomatic, the employee should stay home and contact their healthcare provider.
Unvaccinated (exempt) covered individuals are required to receive COVID-19 PCR testing twice a week. The twice a week requirement can be satisfied via Rutgers saliva testing or external testing as long as the external results are uploaded at: https://rtr.ipo.rutgers.edu/questionnaire/).
Again, if an employee tests positive they should not retest for COVID-19 within 90 days of that positive test, unless otherwise specifically authorized by Occupational Health.
For additional guidance, please visit Home – Universitywide COVID-19 Information (rutgers.edu) or email email@example.com.