Supporting Our Students
Rutgers–New Brunswick Office of the Registrar
Information about academic continuity can be found on the Rutgers–New Brunswick Office of the Registrar webpage.
What you can do:
- Check with your department chair or graduate or undergraduate director to find out what resources they are recommending for faculty in your department.
- Be familiar with the messages that the provosts and deans have sent to the chairs and faculty about academic continuity.
- Review the “best practices” that your dean and chair have developed for academic continuity.
- Ensure that you have a valid email address for the students in each of your classes, lab sections, or other courses, and that you have ready access to this information offsite.
- Send a message to students immediately and announce that the students will need to watch for messages from you.
- If you have not already done so, set up a course webpage in Sakai, Canvas, or Blackboard (please see the Quick Start page) and post the syllabus and class assignments. Ask your department for help to do so and get training if needed.
- Provide students with information on how to submit course assignments via the course website. If this is not feasible, make sure your students have a valid email address for you so that they can submit assignments to you that way.
- Consider whether you may need to adapt your syllabus to the emerging situation and make certain that your students are apprised of the changes as soon as possible.
- Develop a plan for students who need to make up work (such as students who have been ill, etc.).
- Please be lenient with students who return from illness. You may not require a doctor’s note of a student who is returning from absence due to illness.
- Students with disabilities may be impacted differently when switching from in-person to remote instruction. Be prepared to provide and/or revise student accommodations. For more information about accommodations, please visit https://ods.rutgers.edu/.
Resources for using technology to deliver instruction can be found on the Quick Start page.
As additional resources are developed they will be added to this website. Please check back regularly to review additional information or changes in university planning or procedures.